One of the best ways to improve the look of your home's interior is to remove the wall-to-wall carpets and replace them with luxury vinyl plank flooring.
If you are unfamiliar with luxury vinyl plank floors, then below is everything you need to know:
Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring Basics
Although you may be familiar with sheet vinyl or self-adhesive vinyl tiles, luxury vinyl planks are a much higher-quality and longer-lasting type of vinyl flooring.
Unlike soft sheet vinyl that is easily damaged or inexpensive vinyl tiles that quickly wear out, luxury vinyl plank is made of durable materials made to last decades.
Each plank is made of the following four layers:
- a UV surface coating to protect from sun fading
- a thick wear layer comprised of a photorealistic image
- a vinyl core
- a stabilizing rear layer
These layers work together to form a waterproof floor meant to last.
The Advantages of Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
There are many advantages of installing luxury vinyl plank flooring in your home, including:
- it is cheaper than hardwood flooring
- it is long-lasting even in high-traffic areas
- it is scratch-, dent-, stain-, and scuff-resistant
- it isn't absorbent or damaged by water or pet accidents
- it has realistically-textured surfaces to match the look of wood or stone
- it has photorealistic wear layers with crisp designs
In addition, the texture on the surface of the vinyl planks provides a slip-resistant surface for use in kitchens, bathrooms, and homes with children or pets.
The Two Installation Types of Luxury Vinyl Plank Tile
Luxury vinyl plank tile installation is done in two different ways:
Floating installations do not require adhesive as the planks have groves that lock together.
Floating Vinyl Plank Floors
Floating vinyl plank floors have many advantages over their glue-down relatives, such as:
- an easier and cheaper installation
- they are quieter when you walk across the floor
- they are tolerant of subflooring inconsistencies
As with any flooring option, floating luxury vinyl plank flooring can be damaged by excessive traffic or moving heavy objects across its surface.
Glue-Down Luxury Vinyl Plank Floors
As the name implies, glue-down luxury vinyl planks are attached to the subfloor with adhesive. They are ideal for high-traffic commercial spaces or kitchens and bathrooms but require a lot more preparation of the subfloor before installation.
Post-Installation Care and Maintenace of Luxury Vinyl Plank Floors
Finally, once luxury vinyl plank floors have been installed, they are simple to care for. All you need to do is periodically sweep and mop them. They never require waxing or other complicated cleaning procedures.
For more information, contact a company such as Floorco Flooring.